Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Social Anorexia

So I went out last night to a friend’s house, something I haven’t done in over a year, and I had a blast. I’ve been so busy with work, my book, and my always present mystery illness, that I just haven’t had the time, or desire, to socialize. At the last minute I almost cancelled, but I forced myself out the door with the intentions of being home by eight. I think I’m out of practice when it comes to socializing. When stowed away too long in the dark cave of self-absorption I tend to lose my social appetite, making going out seem as appealing as a cup of meal worms. But I forced my self out the door and ended up staying until midnight. If you know me, midnight is unheard of. I’ve grown accustom to being in bed by ten and then reading myself to sleep. So midnight was a huge step for this social cripple. Anyway, I had a blast floating about on a pink noodle in the pool, catching up on important life events, and chatting endlessly about everything from the meaning of life to our favorite songs. Last night my favorite song was Midnight at the Oasis, and I proved it by singing it karaoke.. solo! Having never sung karaoke before, my nerves had my stomach in a choke hold. I’m not showing false humility when I say I can’t sing. I have a voice fit for the shower. But I did it, and the girls all fussed over me, showering me with compliments. “All you need is more confidence.” They said. Ha! What a load. But they meant well. Actually singing karaoke was on my bucket list, so now I can scratch that one off the list without having to actually do it in front of a bunch of critical strangers giggling and pointing at me. Whew!
We also raided my friend’s wig collection, trying new looks until we laughed till we nearly peed our pants. We decided to have a wig night. This involves each of us choosing a wig and wearing it out in public. I can’t believe I agreed to that…. and I wasn’t even drinking!
Going out last night with the girls taught a couple of things.
One: I often resist the things that I need the most.
Two: One good night of laughter with friends can erase a month of melancholy.
It’s important to stay connected with friends and have a life outside of all the obligations and have to’s. Without meaningful contact with my tribe of friends my soul tends to wither like a thirsty house plant. I’m going to make an extra effort to stay connected. But I’m certain I’ll fight it all the way. When was your last night out?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! Out until midnight?! Great! Thanks for reminding me to get out there with some friends. I am planning to crash a high school reunion on Saturday night. I was actually invited to crash, but I have decided to do it. Will get back to you on how it turns out.

Leah Griffith said...

Any possibility of me convincing you to wear a wig to the reunion? *grin

Anonymous said...

So when are we doing lunch?

Leah Griffith said...

How's next Monday looking? Call me.

Post a Comment