Search This Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014

The Kid Got to Me

I met a girl, 17 and lean—her feet pointing inward, causing knees to bump foreheads as she spoke of her future plans—describing dreams as distant as the milky spills of new galaxies, pale against the pitch black uncertainty of the universe.

I found myself bowing to her naiveté, discovering a bit of my younger self in her newly set eyes. To be so eager and unafraid, like a rocket launching for the first time, piercing the conditioned “you cant’s", and the "don’t you dares” rocking life like a bubble-wrapped renegade from mom and dad’s front porch.

When she told me that she wanted to write books I knew that she had suffered. Only the scarred would dare to write, to make sense of, or at least to look at, the entrails of life. I wanted to pry, to find out why this perfect little prom princess would want to write books. What had happened to make her look inwardly, away from the rockets and the blistering pink of youth? But of course I’ll have to wait and see. Perhaps she’ll be a literary star, or pen cookbooks featuring a thousand ways to use cranberries. I don’t know.

I only know that the kid got to me.

13 comments:

Marie Loerzel said...

I love term "perfect little prom princess" and the wonder bordering on voyeurism of this post.

stephen Hayes said...

Some people just reach out to us and connect more than others. It will be interesting to see what she does.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

The way you've described her here, Leah, really got to me, too. May her writing future be bright!
Blessings!

Debra said...

She could have easily been you, Leah.

Leah Griffith said...

Yes they do, Stephen, and this young one reached right into my heart.

Leah Griffith said...

Martha, she was so bright-eyed. I had to laugh, but I also wanted to tap into the blue-eyed wonder of her dream.

Debra said...

Ok, I'll try again. Testing, 1-2-3
This girl who easily be you, lovely Leah.

Cperz said...

What an interesting insight, Leah. You think she has a story to tell that relates to suffering. I do find it interesting that so many performers especially comedians also have had trauma in their lives.

It will be interesting to see where her path leads her.

Leah Griffith said...

Cheryl, it's sad to say, but suffering is so common...a human condition. We all suffer, but few want to look closely, better to distract oneself from the pain. We'll see where she goes with her writing. I felt honored to encourage her.

Ms. Faustus said...

You always use the word "pink" in a way that makes me feel like I want to cover myself up, naked and exposed to poking and prodding... It gets to me, like this kid got to me too. When I was seventeen, all I wanted was to be a writer... Double the age, multiply the mistakes, exponentialize the empathy... Et voila. Godspeed to her.

I just wanted to stop by and send a hug and a smile and a rainbow your way. I hope you are well.

Healing Morning said...

I see that you are also on a hiatus of sorts with your blog writing - same for me! I just posted the first article I've felt inclined to write at my blog in months. This post, and in particular your words of, "When she told me that she wanted to write books I knew that she had suffered." had me nodding in understanding. It is rare for a creative soul to seek any form of expression without having traversed some deep, dark caverns of experience.

We all find one another in some form, yes? Creative nature calls and creative nature answers. Bonds form, some fleeting, others enduring.

Your words get to me, my friend, in the best way possible. Visiting here is as soft and warm as the fabric of an old t-shirt, weathered and comfortable and always bringing a sense of ease. <3

- Dawnie

Unknown said...

"Leah Griffith" has been included in the eighth edition of our Thinking of Christmas Gifts in July 2014 series. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new customers in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/07/thinking-of-christmas-gifts-in-july-2014_18.html

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you so much, Jerry. Wishing you well.

Post a Comment