Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014, Come as You Are.

I thought the year 2012 would kill me, but I made it through, entering 2013 with steady eyes and heightened expectations—silly silly girl. Turns out 2013 had its own plans for Leah, taking the opportunity to teach me some real stunners. I’m not talking clichĂ© quips, or token phrases, but cut out my heart and run over it truths.

The greatest lessons I learned were that I create my own suffering by resisting “what is”, because neither life, nor loved ones, are required to behave the way that I expect them to, and that by trying to change them into something they are not, I am in essence rejecting them.

I’ve learned that without acceptance it is impossible to offer unconditional love, leaving me with nothing left to give but the tawdry offerings of love’s counterfeit—the affections of my demanding and judgmental ego.

It was time for me to drop the belief that I was separate from everything and that in order to live a happy life; I had to protect, promote, and preserve “me”. This belief only perpetuated my self-induced sufferings.

These are epic lessons—ones I’ve yet to master, but I will (for the most part;) do my best to practice them each moment that I’m alive.

Thank you 2013. You were relentless in your lessons, but I know that I needed a good ass whooping to help me get unstuck. I am seriously grateful that you loved me enough to teach me…now get the hell out of here!

2014, I humbly invite you to come as you are.

8 comments:

Marie Loerzel said...

"It was time for me to drop the belief that I was separate from everything and that in order to live a happy life; I had to protect, promote, and preserve “me”. This belief only perpetuated my self-induced sufferings." Brilliant. And for the beginning of 2014, I will be meditating on this phrase for a while. Bring it 2014!

Cperz said...

Those are some very hard lessons that 2013 threw your way. I hope that 2014 brings lighter fare to you.

Not knowing what your situations are either in 2012 or 2013, I have to throw out another thought. I know that putting aside all our expectations of how people should be and be totally excepting who they are is important...BUT to be fair to both sides...in the last few years it seems to me that those that expect acceptance sometimes push more for endorsement. I can totally be on board as far as "live and let live" but that is not to say " I support and embrace your choices." I think we can love people whoever they are or however they live, without being expected to jump onto their band wagon. Just a thought...

My wish for you is to have a wonderful year and that any new lessons come with a measure of compromise. You shouldn't be the only one learning the lessons.

Leah Griffith said...

Marie, I'm so thrilled to have you as a friend. Wishing you the best for 2014!

Leah Griffith said...

Happy New Year Cheryl! Oh, I agree 100%. I have so many bruised from jumping on and off bandwagons over the years. I'm done with that and bungee jumping. I'm talking about letting people be who they are and stepping back if need be. What ever it takes to love in an authentic and healthy way. Sending you hugs!

stephen Hayes said...

It sounds like you're continuing to make progress on the path toward personal acceptance. Far too many people beat themselves up as if there's a correct map to personal fulfillment. We all get there in our own way. Take care and Happy New Year.

Leah Griffith said...

Well said Stephen. Yes, each path is different and we must find it for ourselves...in our own time. Wishing you the absolute best that 2014 has to offer!

Martha Jane Orlando said...

Life never stops teaching us, whooping our ass, as you said, to mold and shape us into the persons God intends for us to be. Wasn't an easy year for me, either, but I did learn and grow - that's worth every lick of pain!
All blessings to you, dear Leah, in 2014!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

I, too, am relieved that 2013 is over. I segmented myself and sacrificed the whole being. Am trying to learn from that for the new year and rediscover a balanced life as best I can. Here's to a better year for both of us! Cheers!

Post a Comment