Search This Blog

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Who the Hell is Calling?


So, it’s 4:30am and I’m typing away my thoughts to you. I actually woke up at four and tossed and turned for a bit; my mind was restless, writing random lines and veering off the straight and narrow. I pulled it back on course, a huge ship, with much too much uncharted sea, and then my phone rang.

Little dog, who was sleeping within the folds of blanketed comfort next to me, barked out a lame warning, sort of a burpy half-bark, just in case I missed the ringing, making certain that I was awake; although she herself was unwilling to respond to the pre-dawn trilling of reveille.

With a huge family and close friends peppered around the planet the last sound I want to hear in the middle of the night is that of a ringing phone. A nocturnal ring sounds more like an air raid warning, screaming of an impending blitz, so I keep my phone a safe distance from my bedroom requiring the sound to work harder to reach my ears, dulling the alarming sensation of being rung awake. But in the blank slate of morning silence the ringing easily found my ears, jarring me into a state of, who-the-hell is-calling? And I-hope-the-kids-are-alright!

There was a certain tension between connecting my feet with the morning floor and reaching the phone, that was as tautly strung as a tightrope. Practicing the art of funambulism I traveled along this rope all the way to my cell phone, keeping my eyes straight ahead lest I look over the edge and see my children in various stages of murder and mayhem crying out for dear mother to save them. “Mummy!”

Caller ID showed that my son had placed three calls to me in the last five minutes. My mind was reasoning that these were merely pocket dials that he hadn’t intended to make, but my heart was racing. I phoned him back and he answered on the second ring; a flat tire with no jack; he found the jack; no need to come, sorry for waking you Ma.

I wanted to tell him that I was relieved that he was alive! and that he can call me anytime and I’d be there…no matter what or where, and that I missed him because he’s been working so much lately and that I hate that he won’t be here for Thanksgiving because of it. I wanted to reach through the phone and hug him so closely that I’d never forget how it felt, but instead I calmly said, “Okay son; I love you.” and then I disconnected.



36 comments:

JANU said...

Mummy pangs; on high alert always. wonderful post again.

Leah Griffith said...

Oh yes Janu! No matter how old they are they will always be my kids;)

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

That call in the middle of the night always is a scary thing.

The worry...it never goes away, does it?

Leah Griffith said...

It sure is Karen. I absolutely hate it! But you're right...it never ends.

Unknown said...

Early morning phone calls are the worst! No one ever calls then, so when they do, they must have a good reason. What's a better reason than to be hurt?

Leah Griffith said...

Exactly J.R. Nothing good gets told at 4:00AM!

Ron said...

Ah, the infamous midnight calls :). Worrisome indeed. I got a call from my college aged son at 2AM. He had been at a party and had imbibed a bit too much. I drove 120 miles round trip to get him home safely and I would do it again anytime. He learned two things. 1. He knew I loved and cared about him and 2. His partying ways went away.

Good post...and sleep in a little later than 4...just saying ;)

Shreya said...

Aww.. moms have so much to worry about. The person waiting at home always gets butterflies when someone calls so late. But Lord is always there to fix everything back to normal.

God can't be everywhere that's why He made mothers.(-A proverb)

Leah Griffith said...

Ron, you're such a good dad! I'd do the same ANYTIME! I just want them to be okay. Some day they will have their own children to look after and it's then that they'll "get" the whole parenting thing;)
I just might take a nap. *grin

Leah Griffith said...

Sweet Shreya, you are so right. That's a lovely proverb, written I'm sure by a mother.
Hugs,
Leah

Rimly said...

I can imagine the sudden fear and anxiety you felt when you got a call like that. The last call I got in the middle of the night was to tell me my father was no more. After that day I dread such calls.

Martha Jane Orlando said...

There is nothing worse than that call in the night! You described all the feelings of anxiety, especially when you have children out in the big world, just perfectly! I was racing to the phone with you! :)
Oh, and so happy your son is okay!

Blessings!

Bongo said...

love those middle of the night calls LOLOLOLOL As always...XOXOXOXO

AngelJane said...

Oh Leah I was with you all the way then my friend... Banging heart, swirling mind. Your son did what I always tell my daughter to do... Ring whenever, it doesn't matter, I would want to help... So glad all was well. Sending big massive hugs to a gorgeous Mother. :)

photos by jan said...

Oh those scarey phones calls, I've had my share, it is never a good time. I'm glad for you and he it was just a flat tire. He knows your there and with love, how very important. Mommy calls are good and bad. <3

Irene said...

Aww Leah. I think I understand my mom better now because of this post. *hugs*

Melissa Tandoc said...

It's the first time I visited your blog and am glad to be your 130th follower :P...

It's great to read a wonderfully written blog ~ literally speaking, it takes skill to intensify a reader's thoughts and feelings.

It's sometimes a wonder why we hold some intimate thoughts to ourselves. Perhaps just to give the other end some peace of mind ~ those simple words said it all :)

Debra said...

My first response would have also been, what has happened to the kids?

“Call Me” … an oldie but a goldie. What is that show? American Bandstand? No, I don’t so.

Leah Griffith said...

Rimly, I am so sorry to hear about your dad passing. I know you must miss him terribly.
Those calls are the worse...I don't know that you can bounce back from that one.
Hugs to you sweet lady.
Leah

Leah Griffith said...

Martha, the funny thing was that I was already awake, which is quite strange. I think parents have a sixth sense when something is up with their children. I do!

Leah Griffith said...

LOL!! I love your sense of humor Bongo!!!

Leah Griffith said...

AngelJane, sweet friend who totally gets it! Yeah, I always tell them to call no matter what. It's good to know that they know that I mean it. I slept like a log last night! LOL!!

Leah Griffith said...

Jan, isn't that just what motherhood is...taking the good and bad. If I'd have known ahead of time what motherhood really felt like I think I would have been afraid to have kids. God protects us from knowing too much! LOL!
Hugs!

Leah Griffith said...

Irene, I am sure you are an amazing and sensitive daughter.
Yup!
Hugs;)

Leah Griffith said...

Melissa, I'm honored to have you as my 130th follower Thanks for the kind compliment.
You're right, sometimes saying less is saying more, the same goes for writing most times.
I'm your follower too...have been for a little while;)

Leah Griffith said...

Debra, I'm not sure what show it is but I love those dancers, they're go-go groovy!!!

Alfandi said...

I hate morning calls..but I love your detailed description of visual and emotion..you make a simple story into a great story..

Ms. Faustus said...

Moms are awesome. Period.

"burpy half-bark" :D Sorry, animals make me smile.

Hugs,
Chris

Leah Griffith said...

Chris, that is the type of thing that I would notice;)

Julia said...

Oh, whew! My heart was starting to beat a little too rapidly there...so glad everyone is safe & sound.

Leah...I've been thinking about you, so very happy we floated into each other's lives.

Sending you love. I hope your Thanksgiving overflows with goodness.

Julia

Leah Griffith said...

Hi Julia! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I think of you often as you travel through this amazing creative process that you've embarked on.

Have a wonderful holiday my dear. Sending love and hugs all the way across the country!

Leah

Leah Griffith said...

Alfandi, that's about the nicest compliment that I've ever received about my writing. Thank you!

Marie from Rock The Kasbah said...

I'm crying imagining when my kids get bigger...and trying to be calm when your heart is breaking.

Jayne said...

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen the word funambulism. And as you used it here that tightrope walk seemed anything but fun! Oh man, I hate those middle-of-the-night/early morning calls. It's so easy to teeter over the edge before you even answer the call.

So glad to hear that the ring for was for a fairly benign reason (even if it raised your blood pressure). And what you didn't say to your son, the embrace that was physically impossible, was all inclusive in the I love you. Our kids know that. ;)

Dangerous Linda said...

Leah: I don't know how old your son is, but I distinctly remember the first 'flat tire' in the middle of the night call several years ago.

How our offspring survive out there in the world without us, I have no idea. Or how we survive our empty nests without them ;-x

Savira Gupta said...

hate those early morning calls and late night ones! News has been good she I get those calls... I have had 4 such calls and news was not good...
3 were from my kids...
Am glad things worked out...

Post a Comment