Search This Blog


Sunday, January 12, 2014

A Soft Surrender

I was taking my usual walk
when I noticed a fallen leaf on the grassy path ahead.
I couldn't help but feel a pinch of pity
wondering if this leaf knew that it was dying.

I paused
waiting for the rise and fall
a faint pulse
but the leaf remained motionless
staring into the dappled underbelly of a former life.

Could it see the flitting birds above
whose cares blended well with green?

And what of the greedy squirrels
dropping acorns as they ran
the soft thuds of a midwinter snack
was it jealous of them?

I remained still
pondering this gentle slip of gold
wishing it would somehow rage against the inevitable
maybe catch a swift breeze
ride it higher than blue.

While wondering about all these things
I respectfully snapped a photo.

Upon viewing the simple image...

I realized
that I knew this leaf very well.


Rubye Jack said...

Very nice!

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you Rubye, and Happy New Year!

The Loerzels said...


Leah Griffith said...

Glad that you enjoyed it Marie.

Debra said...

I know that leaf too, my dear Leah. I know that leaf very well.

Leah Griffith said...

Indeed sweet Debra;) I really enjoyed our conversation on the 8th. Good things are coming.

Kathy Grey said...


Kathy Grey said...


Leah Griffith said...


Stephen Hayes said...

I think we all know this leaf, and not at all. Nice imagery here.

Leah Griffith said...

Yes. Stephen...very well. Thanks;)

Martha J. M. Orlando said...

Wonderful, Leah, simply lovely!

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you, Martha;)

Julia said...

Dear, precious Leah. You are such a sweet, sensitive, conscious soul. This is so pure and gentle & I love you.

Cheryl said...

Very beautiful, make even the simple, everyday events into moments of beauty.

Leah Griffith said...

Julia. I love how you love me;)

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you Cheryl. That's probably the nicest compliment a writer can receive.

Healing Morning said...

When I visit your world here, I greet a kindred soul, always. It isn't very common for any of us to read someone's work that speaks our thoughts that we would write in a similar fashion, but quite often, I find that here. This is not to say we're identical in writing style, or in our uniquely human thoughts, of course! I just always find myself taking an extra moment to appreciate someone dear and close to me who also speaks the language of my heart.

Much love to you, my Leah! <3

- Dawnie

Leah Griffith said...

Yes my dear Dawnie, we speak the same language. Our words often originate from our souls rather than our heads. I love you and your wordy magic my sister. Thank you for being here today with me.

Post a Comment