Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Facing our Fears


Lately a lot of good people that I know have been getting pinned to the mat of life by some heavy trials. I’m stunned by the number of friends who are struggling in so many areas of their lives. Usually life will hit you in the wallet, or the heart, or your health. But it seems that these friends are being hit hard in multiple areas of their lives causing some to become really discouraged.

We all know that life has a cyclic rhythm, and that one day we may be sitting high on a mountain top while the next day we may find ourselves at the bottom of a very dark hole tossing ashes on our heads and cursing the day that we were born. When we’re in a dark hole we forget how amazing the mountain top was and visa versa.

I just came out of a very intense trial, where I found it hard to remember my truth. Everything seemed drained of color; being tainted with fear and hopelessness. When I was in it I couldn’t imagine being out of it. It’s like lying on the beach in July and trying to imagine a snow storm.

One of the things that I learned from this recent wrestling match with life was that the truth is always there for me to grab on to…as long as I don’t have my hands full of other stuff. This other stuff is usually fear. Fear is centered on loss and is our most formidable foe because it has the power to trigger so many emotional responses; responses like rage, jealousy, greed, pride, and even murder and suicide.

We’ve all read the headlines where some famous person, who seemed to have it all, embezzles money, screws up a great marriage, or dies in a roach infested hotel of a drug overdose, leaving us all left to wonder why. How could somebody, who seemingly had so much, come so undone? Somewhere in this person’s life they began listening to the lies of fear, telling them that who they were just wasn’t enough.

Fear likes to paralyze us so that we cease from being fruitful. It undermines our confidence and makes us doubt our gifts. You see our gifts are our weapons of love. We need them to fulfill our purpose on this earth. They enrich our lives with meaning and inspire the lives of others, lifting us high above this weary world so that we can see eternity.

I had one friend say that she felt like a fraud in her job because she felt so out of control in her own life. She said, “I’m supposed to have it all together. How can I possibly help others?” Oh really? Who has it all together? Nobody. If we had to wait to do anything until we had it all together we’d all be sitting around self-obsessing over our screwed up lives and nothing would ever get done.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this: If life has sent a renegade sumo wrestler, in need of a breath mint, and a diaper change, to kick your weary ass…don’t you dare run! It’s times like these that are known to precede the greatest victories of all. Open your hands and let go of your fears, surrender your expectations for certain outcomes and trust that the absolute best result is coming your way.

Try living one moment at a time and trust that wisdom will speak to you when important decisions need to be made. Anything more than this is delusional: a mere attempt at controlling the universe, which by the way already has a director.

You’re being here is no accident. There is a loving plan and purpose. Trust in this and your life will improve. Oh, and then pour some wine, blast some good music, and dance till you drop! What? That always helps me;)





20 comments:

JIM said...

First I need to address James singing Frank wow What a great hidden gem for me to hear this morning!!!! That was great!!! Thank You

I agree so much with your post things happen and the making of a person is how you react to them! About 19 years ago I had 3 heart attacks from July to Sept of the same year. The doctors were conflicted over doing a bypass because of my age and I decided I didn't want it. I was told I would need one within 5 years. Never happened not entirely luck I changed my diet , I worked out lost 70 pounds and I think most important I changed how I dealt with the world!!! No more temper ( well maybe still but just a little lol) no more why does this all happen to me I took control of my life and with Phyllis's help I can ride my bikes 7 - 10 miles swim 15 - 20 laps and run 3 miles in about 36 minutes. NO I never had that bypass but I did have a personality transplant and it has kept me alive. When you get a kick in the @@@ from life stand up and look at what you can change and do it. As bad as it may be if you can get up in the morning get out of bed your ahead. It could be worse much worse. Start making memories don't become one!!!

http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/09/photographing-street-entertainers.html

Leah Griffith said...

Jim, what an inspiring story! You faced life head-on and made some vital changes. I'm sure it wasn't easy for you to do...but you did it! Thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm sure it will inspire many.
And, yes...loving James Brown this morning;)

JANU said...

Leah.....what you have said is true and beautiful.

Leah Griffith said...

Thank you Ms. Janu. I love how you stop in to check on me. Have a fantatic day!

Jodi Chapman - Soul Speak said...

Leah,
I just have to tell you that I am so happy to have found your blog. You are amazing and inspiring. You speak to my soul with each word, and this post was no exception. You're so right that the truth is always there for us to grab onto - if we first let go of our fear. Definitely something I am working toward on a daily basis. Thank you so much for your wise words.

Leah Griffith said...

Good Morning Jodi, I could easily say the exact same thing back to you. I love these soulful exchanges. We are so connected to others and it's such a gift when life leads us across the paths of those, who like ourselves, are carrying our banged up torches through the muck and the mire, illuminating those things that sparkle, and chasing away the smothering darkness;)

Cathy said...

Authentic fear is simply instinct in disguise!

Leah Griffith said...

I like that Cathy. Authentic fear is a primitive, but vital, force for survival; whereas the fear that we conjure from our stinking thinking is a monster of our own creation.

Brooke said...

Just want to say, that it is clear that we are kindred spirits, and I want to express my gratitude for taking the time to signal yourself present out in my blog worlds! I am always amazed at the gift of this awesome online universe where we get to pal around with people who get us and honor us. Thank you again. Your comments went straight to the heart. So excited to explore your universe!

Anonymous said...

As always, your blog is amazing! You have such a way of looking at things!

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

I agree. So many are going through so much right now. Things always seem to come in clumps, and I'm in the middle of several clumps right now. Posts like these give me perspective. Thanks!

~Debbie

Leah Griffith said...

Aw Brooke, your post melted my heart. I knew after two paragraphs that you were a kindred spirit. I'm excited to read more of your stuff. You are such a gifted writer and thinker. You gotta love this cyber world!

Leah Griffith said...

Kris! How do you like the blog so far? I'm making changes. I wish I could turn this page black instead of gray. Thanks for coming by...I always love seeing you!

Leah Griffith said...

LOL! Debbie, I should resurrect my March, 10th blog entry entitled (get this) Living with Clumps. I’m not kidding. I'm so glad that you stopped by. You might want to check out the above mentioned post;)

Elizabeth said...

You always know how to address these things and remain steadfast and true. You are my mentor and inspiration Leah.
-Liz

Leah Griffith said...

Oh Liz, it comes from walking through so many dark places. You know as well as I do that life is a great teacher. I'm humbled by your compliment and thrilled that you find inspiration in my posts. Thank you Liz.

Jayne said...

Leah- Not only can you write, but you are one helluva inspirational speaker. I could see you out there on the circuit--the world needs you, darling!

My family has had a summer of health clumps that's rolled over into fall and it's been hard to stay positive and not let the fear pin me down. Lately, I've wanted to make like the Red Sox and collapse! But your post makes me smile, and reminds me of just how toxic fear is to our psyche.

Thank you for this Leah--it's beautiful, and comes just at the right time. Feel stronger just reading this. :D

Leah Griffith said...

Hi Jayne, Thank you, but I have a face for radio;)
I’m sorry that you’re family is experiencing a clump of …well, crap. Life seems to do that to us sometimes. I’m so grateful that you were inspired Jayne. That’s the only reason I put my guts out here. It’s what I do.
Looking so forward to your Frolic…it always gives me a boost. One of these days we're going to have that glass of wine together and laugh about some of these clumps!

Amila said...

This is really true.....Very nice posts & topics in your blog.Happy to follow you...

Leah Griffith said...

Hi Amy, Thank you for following. I enjoy writing about all sorts of things. I hope you find some things worth keeping.

Post a Comment